Electrical safety tips to keep you safe at home

Some of the electrical safety work the Powersafe Kingaroy team has taken care of. Picture: Contribution

When it comes to electricity, there are many hidden dangers to watch out for around the house. Electricity is invisible, so you can’t see danger, but it can seriously injure and kill.

1. First, always assume that any electrical wiring or equipment is live or energized.

2. Know your distribution panel, know how and where to turn off dangerous electrical circuits

3. Always turn off the main switch when working under houses/houses and when working or entering rooftops, it’s a must.

4. Keep electrical equipment away from water sources.

5. Do not overload electrical outlets, this is one of the leading causes of electrical fires in the home

6. Check that all extension cords are undamaged and do not route them under rugs or carpets, and do not join multiple extension cords together, this could cause high resistance rendering your safety switch non-functional in the event of a fault.

7. If you have toddlers, be sure to use childproof plugs to prevent them from putting their fingers or other objects into the outlets.

8. Always turn off light switches before replacing a light bulb.

9. Never leave appliances such as heaters, hair dryers, hair straighteners running unattended.

10. Never use appliances with wet hands

11. Regularly inspect appliances, outlets, switches and cords for damage and repair or replace them.

12. Make sure there is adequate ventilation and space around appliances that generate heat.

Call Powersafe Kingaroy for a comprehensive electrical inspection and testing program

Board Security

Every house should have a safety switch; if your home does not have one, contact Powersafe Kingaroy, the five star electricians at South Burnett, and have one installed as soon as possible. These devices are inexpensive, simple to install and save many lives every year.

Know your distribution board, know how and where to turn dangerous electrical circuits

If you feel a tingle when you touch a water faucet, there may be a fault in your electrical grounding. If safe to do so, turn off the power at the main switch (usually located in the meter box) and call a licensed electrician to investigate.

Know the location of underground power lines before digging on your property. Call the national Dial Before You Dig referral service at 1100.